This is what we will be making
The only thing you will need to make the Ghost is Paint Shop Pro, get it here: www.jasc.com
I´m going to show you how to create your own Halloween Ghost using the Draw tool. It´s easier than you think! (**For those of you who absolutely, positively believe that they´re unable to draw anything, please click here:)
(This tutorial is for intermediate to advanced PSP users and as such, it will not contain detailed instructions for every phase.)
1. Open up a new image, transparent background, 350x400 pixels.
2. Flood fill the image with a dark color. (This is just so you can see what you're doing.)
3. Set your styles to: foreground color white, background null. Now select your draw tool, freehand, width 3, vector checked, antialias checked and starting at about 144,94, and going from left to right, draw a round head shape, then move on down and draw in an arm area, and the lower part of the ghost. Moving to your left, draw the bottom of the ghost, then start back up to the top and draw the other side.
If you´re happy with your ghost shape, go to your layer palette, right click on the ghost layer and choose "Convert to Raster Layer", then rename the layer "Ghost".
4.Click in the center of your ghost shape with your Magic Wand, then go to Selections>Modify>Expand, 4 pixels.
5. With your Flood Fill tool set on Blend Mode: Normal, Opacity:100, Match Mode: None, left click to flood fill the ghost shape. Repeat if necessary to cover any black or gray pixels near the edges. De-select. Save your image.
6. Go to Image>Resize and uncheck the "Resize all Layers" box, then resize your image 90%.
7. Grab your selection tool, ellipse, and make a small oval selection in the head area where the "eye" would be located. Create a new raster layer and name it "eye", then flood fill the eye with black. Deselect. Position the eye where you want it to be, then right click on the layer, and duplicate it. Go to Image>Mirror. This is what you should have so far:
8. Turn off the bottom (black) layer, right click in your layer palette and choose Merge>Merge visible.
9. Go to Effects>Geometric Effects>Skew. Set the Horizontal to 19 and the Vertical to 0. This is what you should have:
Note: Of course if you want the Ghost to lean further to the right, just adjust the horizontal to your personal taste. :)))
Save your Image.
10. On your Layer palette, turn down the opacity on the ghost layer to about 60.
11. Turn the Black layer back on. Select your retouch tool, with these settings:
Now lightly drag the retouch tool over the edges of your Ghost and out into the Black area. The object is to make whispy trails so that the Ghost appears to be dissolving into the air. This works best if you just do very small sections at a time.
If you over-smudge (is that a word, LOL?) an area, just hit your undo button or CTRL/Z. Don´t forget to save your image as you work!
12. When you´re satisfied that your Ghost looks "Ghostly" enough, then select your Magic Wand, click in the outer area, invert your selection and copy/paste new image. Now you can export your Ghost as a tube or just save it in PSP format to use later. When you use it, you may have to adjust the opacity down some more, that´s up to you......it´s YOUR GHOST!
Here's how my Ghost looks against a spooky background:
**If you really think that using the draw tool is beyond your skill, you´re welcome to use my selection here. (Just unzip it into your PSP Selections Folder.) However, just as a challenge, try it freehand first. You might be pleasantly surprised! :)))
I would like to give a very special "Thank You" to my two tutorial testers, AmethystLady and Mary Anne. I gave them a very rushed last minute request to test this tutorial, and they came through with flying colors!
Thank you so much!
AmethystLady´s Ghost MaryAnne´s Ghost
This tutorial is my own creation, any similarity to any other tutorial on the Internet is unintentional. It is copyrighted by me, Nightshadow, on October 22, 2002, and is not to be copied or reproduced in any way under penalty of law. Graphics lists, please e-mail me for permission to post my tutorials, especially because I would love to see the results :O)
NOTE: Any image you make using this tutorial is completely your own property.
|[ Home ]||[ Tutorials ]||[ Sign My Guest Book ]||[ View My Guest Book ]||[ Goodies ]||[ Links ]|
© Blue Rose Design 2002